RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Atrophy II

Go down

RSD and Atrophy II Empty RSD and Atrophy II

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 5/9/2005 10:17 AM
Hi Everyone,
This week I thought we could talk about RSD and Atrophy. Atrophy is when the muscle mass shrinks and can eventually if left untreated die. This is a problem for some of us with RSD. Currently my right leg has the beginnings of Atrophy. The leg is extremely painful and very stiff. Normally the calf muscle of your dominant leg is about an inch or two bigger than your other leg. In my case the right leg is an inch and a half smaller than the left. This is a sign that the muscle is atrophying and if let be it could be a permanent situation. I asked my doctor what can I do to help it. She told me to use it as much as possible(Walking). Additionally she told me to hold on to the back of a chair and raise up on my toes and I have been doing them ten a day and will increase it when my body is able to. This way it won't shrink anymore.RSD and lack of use can cause this, so as hard as it is to move I push myself so that it won't get worse. If anybody else has Atrophy as part of their RSD, or would like to post comments or suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just add them to this post.
Robyn

language=javascript>var bMB=true;</SCRIPT> language=javascript id=OVScript src="http://cmhtml.msn.overture.com/d/search/p/msn/js/communities/?Partner=msn_grpdir&maxCount=3&market=us&ctxtId=102&type=102"></SCRIPT> language=javascript></SCRIPT> ></SCRIPT>

<NOBR> </NOBR>

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Everybody,
I found this information about Atrophy on the internet. I thought you might enjoy reading it.
Love,

Robyn

Muscular Atrophy

Understanding How to Control Muscle Size

Many different medical conditions cause muscle shrinkage, or atrophy, such as when a patient suffers from cancer or AIDS, or simply when a limb is casted following injury, or even when a patient undergoes prolonged bed rest. Furthermore, the normal atrophy that accompanies aging, termed sarcopenia, can contribute to debilitating fraility in older patients. In such settings of muscle atrophy, the patient has few therapeutic choices to prevent muscle loss.

Muscle size is maintained by a balance between processes that promote muscle growth via increasing protein synthesis, and processes that cause muscle atrophy by initiating protein degradation. For example, tumors might cause muscle atrophy by secreting certain molecules which can signal muscle cells to increase protein breakdown.

The cellular signals in muscle tissue which initiate muscle protein synthesis and breakdown are only now beginning to be understood. Regeneron scientists have identified key cellular proteins that mediate the muscle growth process, and they have also identified proteins required for muscle atrophy. Furthermore, they have demonstrated that that they can manipulate these proteins, primarily by using genetic approaches, to cause either muscle growth or to block muscle atrophy in preclinical models. These findings provide new potential targets that may lead to novel therapeutics for healthy muscle maintenance. Regeneron is researching muscle atrophy and related diseases in collaboration with Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Understanding How to Control Muscle Size

Many different medical conditions cause muscle shrinkage, or atrophy, such as when a patient suffers from cancer or AIDS, or simply when a limb is casted following injury, or even when a patient undergoes prolonged bed rest. Furthermore, the normal atrophy that accompanies aging, termed sarcopenia, can contribute to debilitating fraility in older patients. In such settings of muscle atrophy, the patient has few therapeutic choices to prevent muscle loss.

Muscle size is maintained by a balance between processes that promote muscle growth via increasing protein synthesis, and processes that cause muscle atrophy by initiating protein degradation. For example, tumors might cause muscle atrophy by secreting certain molecules which can signal muscle cells to increase protein breakdown.

The cellular signals in muscle tissue which initiate muscle protein synthesis and breakdown are only now beginning to be understood. Regeneron scientists have identified key cellular proteins that mediate the muscle growth process, and they have also identified proteins required for muscle atrophy. Furthermore, they have demonstrated that that they can manipulate these proteins, primarily by using genetic approaches, to cause either muscle growth or to block muscle atrophy in preclinical models. These findings provide new potential targets that may lead to novel therapeutics for healthy muscle maintenance. Regeneron is researching muscle atrophy and related diseases in collaboration with Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

First Previous 2 of 2 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>Littlelizzy2131</NOBR> Sent: 5/9/2005 11:21 AM
Robyn,
This message just blew me away. I have never heard of this. I am calling my dr. today. Like I have said before I don't get very much info from him. Besides everything else going on with my body, my left side looks like it is disapearing. My left rib cage and breast have fallen about 2 inches and you can see when I wear tight clothes that my body is off. I have a very large indentation in my right side. My dr said he didn't know why I am looking deformed. ( my left side is where my SCS is) This might be what it is. I just started water therapy and maybe it will help. I also think it is time to look for a new dr. Thank you so much for this info.
Liz

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>fireislandlady</NOBR> Sent: 5/10/2005 9:59 AM
Hi Robyn,

I also have atrophy in my left calf. The muscle is gone. I've been in different casts & cam walker for the last 9 months. I am unable to walk without the cam walker (which is a leg brace that is padded and goes up to my knee). I also need a cane to walk short distances. I have been in pool therapy for the last 3 months to try to build up my calf muscle and get my foot moving (RSD started in my foot). I don't know if it helps or not, but I love the pool and feel like I am exercising. I used to power walk 10 miles a day. Boy do I miss that. I would recommend pool therapy as it is easier to get things moving without too much weight on your feet. And it should be a very heated pool.
Terry (aka fireisland lady)

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Robyn,
I have Atrophy in my left hand and do exercises every day to keep the joints and muscles moving. It is very hard to do but if you don't do it, they will become totally stiff with no use at all. I try to do little things around the house without overdoing it and exercise in the shower with hot water. That seems to help. Keep going on what works well for you and know that my thoughts are with you. Have a great day.
Linda,

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Liz,
I hope the water therapy helps! I was doing water therapy for awhile and hope after we get done fighting with Workers Comp they will let me go back.Until then I am just doing what I can to keep it moving.I felt that water therapy helped keep my muscles stronger and wonder if I would have the atrophy if I was still going. Oh well for now I will do what I can and hopefully they will tie up all the loose ends in the next few months.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Terry,
I loved going to water therapy but until we get through some issues in court Workers Comp isn't paying for anything for RSD. They stink but that is a whole other story. I loved going because it relaxed my muscles and made me feel like I was exercising too! I loved exercising before I was hurt and it really drives me crazy that my body can't do things it used to. Right now I am going to look at pools in the area and if they have steps and I can afford it I might just join and that way I can exercise in the water. I can't go to a pool with a ladder because of all the problems with my arms.I think in time you will see some changes in your leg. I love the water and was an excellent swimmer before I got hurt. I really miss that but at least I could float and do some exercises for my leg. That sounds so good to me right now.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Linda,
You are right it does hurt but it is worth it in the end. Hey the shower is a good idea that never occurred to me. That is a great idea since I have a bar to hold onto in there, so I wouldn't have to worry about losing my balance. Thanks for that idea and I hope you are enjoying your day!
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Robyn that really stinks that wc won't pay for your water therapy .I have missed going this week and probably won't get to go back for a while now .My medicare supplement pays for mine they have what they call a silver sneakers group with their plan and basicilly its a membership to a health club or rec center .I was really surprised that they the accepted Easter Seals program .I don't have any atrophy and I think the pool therapy might have helped with this .
hugs
glenda
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down