RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and the Dentist

Go down

RSD and the Dentist Empty RSD and the Dentist

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 6/29/2005 12:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
This week I thought we could talk about RSD and the Dentist. I went to the dentist about two years and was having a problem with a tooth that had a deep filling from years ago.Being an old filling it had broken and the dentist was explaining to me what had to be done for it. A root canal first and then a surgery to remove a small bit of gum so they could properly fit the cap on my tooth. I had the root canal and it went perfectly. The surgery on my tooth was a different story. The surgery was fine but I should never have had it done. It caused my RSD to spread even though my dentist didn't feel it could. Being uninformed I believed him and never mentioned it to my neurologist. I should have! It took very long for it to heal also. Much longer than was normal.I don't know if the RSD had something to do with that or not but my suspiscions are there. Well I haven't been back in a year and a half and now need to go back but am very apprehensive. It is horrible for anyone to touch my mouth and I don't think the doctor will understand that. How do we find a dentist who understands what we are dealing with? I guess it is hit and miss.Here is some info I found on RSD and the Dentist:
RSD and Dentistry, One Assessment

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Patients and Dentistry

by Dr. Aldino P. Maggiulli

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome (RSD) usually develops after a traumatic episode. Any body part can be affected but the symptoms are mostly seen on the upper and lower extremities. Victims of an injury may develop a burning sensation or numbness on their extremities.

Their pain varies day to day. They may develop problems maneuvering their limbs and have dexterity problems. Some people affected with this syndrome face great challenges while trying to accomplish even routine functions. It is important to share any asset which can provide comfort and consistent results to those who suffer with RSD.

This article shares one such asset which was discovered in a dental setting.

It is apparent that patients with RSD can't be treated in the usual manner as other dental patients. This was discovered when a patient with RSD came to my office for routine dental treatment. The patient, who we'll call "Will" to provide confidentially entered my office on June 21, 2002. Will informed me that he bad been suffering with RSD for the past seven years. He mentioned that he had been involved in a car accident and the symptoms of the disease followed there after.

Will was diagnosed with generalized gum disease and a second appointment was made for him to return for aggressive hygiene therapy. His treatment was initiated on July 22, 2002. Traditional dental anesthesia was given and treatment was delivered to the top right and bottom right gum tissues. Will didn't tolerate the deep cleaning procedure well. He reported feeling fatigue and generalized aches. He still had to return to complete the left sides of his dentition. Will had to be motivated to continue. An agreement was made that his next appointments would be shorter. We would treat only the top left side and on a subsequent appointment treat the remaining bottom left side.

Will reluctantly returned on August 6th. Traditional dental anesthesia was given only to the top left side. The appointment time was cut in half and Will reported feeling a little better than his first visit. He wasn't tired but the aches associated with RSD persisted. A startling discovery was made on Will's third visit. He reluctantly returned for the remaining bottom left gum treatment.

Traditional dental anesthesia was given to the bottom left side. The appointment time was short, unlike his first marathon session treating two upper and lower right areas. This appointment was different in that a second dose of dental anesthesia was given to the patient before the gum treatment ended. Will, for the first time, felt great.

The decreased appointment time combined with additional local anesthesia close to the conclusion of his gum treatment made this RSD patient completely comfortable and report no post-op sensation. It's difficult to conclude any significant treatment protocol by revealing the results of just one RSD patient. This experience demonstrates that RSD patients can't be treated like traditional patients.

Thanks to Will's help, the conclusion to draw is that it is best to give RSD patients short dental appointments. RSD sufferers tire easily and their symptoms may be exacerbated by lengthy dental procedures.

The progression of treatment recorded also shows that two doses of local anesthesia are beneficial; one before treatment and one prior to the conclusion of dental treatment. The two dose application allowed this patient comfortable treatment and no fatigue or generalized ache post operatively. It should be noted that this two dose technique has worked consecutively for Will on multiple appointments since this writing, Will has even had a three unit bridge placed without complications and without increasing the symptoms felt with RSD.

I am thinking of printing this article out and taking it with me. Any thoughts on that?

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with the dentist and RSD. Good or bad you can add your experiences to this post.
Robyn

First Previous 2 of 2 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Hey Robyn,

I was just talking with my friend Steve who was just telling me about the dentist and RSD. He said you should not have root canals or having any drilling done because it can spread the RSD. First I had heard of it, but makes perfect sense. Thanks for the article and information.

Tobi

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Hi Tobi,
I wish I had known then what I know now oh well...I hope the info helps you or someone else.How have you been doing lately? Good I hope! Things are going pretty good here.I hope you have fun on the 4th!
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum