RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Therapeutic Massage

Go down

RSD and Therapeutic Massage Empty RSD and Therapeutic Massage

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 7/12/2005 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Since Linda had questions about therapeutic massage I thought it might be interesting for all of us to have our weekly discussion about it.I did have therapeutic massage two months after being injured and it did help some but wasn't long lasting. It never lasted longer than about an hour after the session. Later about five months after being injured at a different therapy place they would massage pain relieving lotion on my shoulders and that did help also but would wear off after about an hour or so. Now I know that we are all different and just because I wasn't helped that much doesn't mean someone else could be helped by this. My husband massages my shoulders and lower back many nights when the pain is at it's worst and it does help me settle down and sleep. Massage is helpful for me at night even though it wears off. Here is some information I found on the internet:

Chronic Pain- It zaps your energy and takes an emotional toll. Over time, pain can become a vicious cycle with a life of its own, sometimes persisting even after the original cause is resolved. Pain often begins with an injury or illness, but each element, especially stress, can add to or even start the pain cycle. You perceive pain when your body releases chemicals that stimulate nerves to send pain messages to the brain. These are difficult and dangerous to ignore. Always look for and seek to treat the root cause of your pain right away. Research has proven that massage stimulates release of natural pain relievers such as endorphins.

Muscle Tension - Muscles automatically contract around any painful site to support and protect the area. If pain is resolved quickly, muscles relax. If pain persists, muscles can become habitually contracted. Sometimes contractions press on nerves causing tingling, numbness, and more pain. Tight muscles reduce circulation, allowing waste products (lactic acid) to accumulate. In any area with chronically poor circulation, the body eventually lays down collagen fibers, which are building blocks of scar tissue. While helpful for healing injuries, this natural reaction can “glue” muscles and other tissue into a shortened state. Shortened muscles restrict movement making even simple actions difficult and tiring. As your capacity for movement and exercise decrease, you lose the most important means for maintaining good circulation throughout your body, risking pain in new areas. This can also lead to other health issues as well as weight gain. Massage helps by stimulating the nervous system to relax muscle tension, releasing painful trigger points, increasing circulation of blood and lymph, (lymph flow has a positive effect on the immune system), removing lactic acid, stretching tight muscles and improving joint mobility. In addition, because you feel better after a massage, you may discover renewed energy and motivation for physical activity.

Hey anything that helps our circulation is good! RSD causes problems with circulation so maybe it is more helpful than I realized. It releases endorphins, that makes sense to me and endorphins help kill the pain.I also found the following on the internet:

Aggressive Physical Therapy:

Aggressive Physical Therapy is currently practiced in Holland - a country that is miles ahead of the United States in the treatment of RSD. One of the current disciplines that are currently in vogue is the aggressive therapeutic massage of all RSD affected regions, extremities and joints. Such treatment has even restored hands that have been reduced to claws - from contracture.

But - caution - aggressive physical therapy hurts - and requires that the patient be able to withstand the pain that will be experienced from rough massage. It is by means of aggressive physical therapy that blood circulation will be maintained and the muscles will be able to obtain the minimum necessary stimulation to become flexible and well toned. Also range of motion may be restored by means of aggressive physical therapy.

Hmmmm..... something to think about but I personally don't know if I could stand this type of therapy how about you???Here is some more interesting information about endorphins and not giving up:

Many people with chronic pain do not manufacture enough endorphins, this causes two problems. The first is that your body is sending inappropriate pain messages, and it is not releasing endorphins to protect against the pain. The second is a lack of sufficient endorphins causes hypersensitivity to pain. There are ways we can work to increase our endorphins naturally and with medications.

Naturally occurring endorphins can be obtained by: 1. Exercise 2. Biofeedback, Meditation, Prayer 3. Bodywork, Massage, Hydrotherapy 4. Laughter. Endorphin research suggests that there is a link between our emotional state and the health and well-being of our immune systems. So pleasant memories, exercise, sexual activity, laughter, are all ways we can increase our levels of endorphins and therefore help our body to fight pain through its own natural chemicals.(7)

The body weakens and pain increases when there is a dominance of repressed, bottled up danger emotions such as pain, anger, and fear. It is strengthened as a result of increased expression of such positive emotions as happiness, pleasure and love. Evidence shows that our emotions and thoughts "talk" with the billions of defense cells in our immune system. The "limbic-hypothalamic system" of the brain is known as the major mind-body connector modulating the responses of the endocrine, immune, and autonomic nervous systems ( which includes the sympathetic nervous system ) in response to mental suggestions and beliefs. Sustaining a belief that recovery is possible can mobilize a healing response by activating all these major systems of mind-body communication and healing.(9)

What is the prognosis?
With regular exercise, taking good care of yourself mentally and physically, effective symptom treatment, good nights sleep, good nutrition, de-stress daily, and most important eliminating nerve stimulating factors such as caffeine, nicotine, and drugs/foods that stimulate the nervous system. The prognosis of a patient with RSD/CRPS is very good. You can learn to adapt and take control of your life again. Educating yourself and those close to you is empowering.

Don't give up hope! Hopelessness and stress can cause a worsening of symptoms. It's important to take care of the mind as well as the body. Look at the things you are able to do and not dwell on what you can't do. The best way to recover is to adapt to the changes this disorder causes to the body. It's OK to morn the way you once were. Everyone with a devastating disease, disorder, or injury goes through a period of grieving. Unless you are one of the lucky RSD/CRPS patients that experience a total remission, the best thing to do is, from now on, learn to work with your body the way it is. You will probably have a limited amount of activities you are able to do in one day. Get to know your limits, but sometimes push a little beyond. Some days will be better than others. Learn to pay attention to what your body is telling you and if it's time to stop an activity, rest, then continue when the pain subsides.

Well I hope you enjoyed learning about therapeutic massage as much as I did! Any thoughts or experiences you would like to add? Just add them to this post.

Love,

Robyn

First Previous 2 of 2 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Back when I was still getting w/c benefits I did massage therapy right after pool therapy.It really seemed to help cause I get knots that hurt really bad in my shoulder blades .The massage theripist would work those knotts out she was also up on rsd which helped allot .After w/c settled I could no longer afford it but kept up with the water therapy .
hugs
glenda

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Robyn,
Thanks for the article. Guess my mistake of message is also theraputic as well as massage. My husband also rubs my shoulder at night and it does help. Just takes that edge of somehow. I am going to try the massages. Did one and and going to try a series of three. Will let the group know how it goes. Even if it lasts only a short while it is better than none at all. Thanks again for the help.
Love ya all, Linda

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>irisheyes0720</NOBR> Sent: 7/13/2005 10:23 PM

does tje
BWC pay for massage heraphy. I can't even get them to approve the second shot. I hae een going around and around with the dcotors office over this . The doctor wants me tohave it. the bureau says put it on the claim. My nurse corodinator says she'll approve it but for some reason this girl in the doctors office says I have to have more tests run to prove I have rsds even thought the doctor himself told me the last test I had proed it. What a mess. Lots of love and gentle hugs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Linda,
That is good you are going to try them out and I hope you are helped alot by the experience! Check in and let us know how it goes and I have to agree even if it helps some it is better than not at all. Best of Luck!
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Irisheyes,
Boy that Workers Comp can sure give the run around!They will pay for a procedure if they decide they want you to have it. They can be tricky for sure! I ended up getting a lawyer involved. Did they put on any of your paperwork that you have RSD? If they did please be careful and put that paperwork in a safe place!If the treatment can help you they usually do have to pay for it, but I know all to well how much they will postpone things until they have no choice. I hope they start treating you so you can feel a little better. Good luck.
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum