RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Internal Organs

Go down

RSD and Internal Organs Empty RSD and Internal Organs

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

From: byrd45 (Original Message) Sent: 11/29/2005 11:07 AM

Hi Everyone,
This week I thought we could discuss RSD and how it affects our internal organs. About six months ago I was noticing that I kept getting stabbing pain in my abdomen and at times burning in that area. I thought maybe it had something to do with my acid reflux disease, but decided to mention it when I went for my last visit to my doctor who treats my RSD. I described what has been happening and she told me well it is possible that the RSD has spread into your stomach. She told me that RSD can affect us internally. I couldn't believe it! Now after reading what Dr. Hooshmand says about it spreading internally, some symptoms I have been having but didn't know why, that RSD spreading and involving our internal organs makes more sense. I have edema around my mid section and it was becoming so problematic that I begged my regular physician to put me on water pills and he agreed it was worth a try. The swelling was horrible and extremely painful as well as making it hard to breathe. I had been sleeping propped on pillows because if I layed flat it was very uncomfortable and hard to breathe. The water pills have helped me a whole lot and I take one everyday now. Nausea has become a big part of my day and just the smell of certain foods was enough to make me gag. It really felt like morning sickness without having the actual pregnancy going on. My doctor presribed something for the nausea which has also helped me a whole lot. I was having sharp pains in my chest as well. I was getting real scared concerning the chest pains, but luckily it didn't seem heart related to the doctor. Phew that was real scary for me! Anyhow, this is what Dr. Hooshmand has to say on RSD and internal organs:

RSD PUZZLE #34
"CAN RSD INVOLVE INTERNAL ORGANS?"

RSD invariably involves the internal organs. Usually the skin surface is cold at the expense of increased circulation to the internal organs. This increased circulation can cause osteoporosis, fractures of bone, abdominal cramps and diarrhea, disturbance of absorption of foods with resultant weight loss, water retention with aggravation of premenstrual headaches and depression, persistent nausea and vomiting, as well as severe vascular headaches mistaken for "cluster headache".

In addition, the sympathetic dystrophy can cause the complication of intractable hypertension which responds best to alpha I blockers (Dibenzyline, Hytrin, or Clonodine). The RSD can cause attacks of irregular or fast heart beat, chest pain, coronary artery spasm (angina), as well as disturbance of function of other internal organs. A few examples are frequency and urgency of urination, respiratory disturbance such as dyspnea and apneic attacks, and attacks of severe abdominal pain.

Laparoscopy may reveal congestion and inflammation of the ovaries, uterus or small bowel.

Attacks of fluctuating blood pressure may also be accompanied by constriction of the blood vessels to the kidney resulting in periodic bleeding in the urine as well.

The internal organs complication may become aggravated by traumatic effect of sympathetic nerve blocks. One such complication is accidental trauma to the kidney with resultant hematuria (blood in urine) and aggravation of hypertension.

Nerve blocks and more importantly physical therapy help improve the skin circulation and reduce the deep circulation calming down the inflammatory affect of RSD over the internal organs. As mentioned above, alpha I blockers are quite affective in treatment of this condition.

Attacks of swelling of the internal organs complicated by intermittent constriction of the blood vessels to different organs can result in chest pain, attacks of sharp central pain (stabbing severe pain in the chest or abdomen), and changes in voice (suddenly developing a temporary "chipmunk" type of voice change). The sharp, stabbing, central pain can be helped with treatment with medications such as anticonvulsant (Tegretol or Neurontin).

The use of catheters adjacent to the sympathetic change such as in the lumbar sympathetic change can help prevent repeated needle infection for sympathetic nerve blocks. However, because of the congestion of the internal organs the catheter may irritate the sympathetic nerve branches causing constriction of the blood vessels to the spinal cord with temporary paraplegia. As soon as the weakness of extremities develops, the catheter should be removed. Not heeding to this ominous sign can result in paralysis of the lower extremities and incontinence.

The same congestion of internal organs can also cause hypersensitivity to smell and aversion to taste of certain foods.

H. Hooshmand, M.D.

Well, It certainly explains alot of the symptoms I have been having. Things are alot better since using the water pills and nausea medicine. The problems are still there but definitely to a lesser degree. Do you have any comments or experiences you would like to add? I would love to hear from you as always! Just add your thoughts or experiences to this post.
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down