RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Having Blood Drawn

Go down

RSD and Having Blood Drawn Empty RSD and Having Blood Drawn

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,
This week I thought it would be interesting to discuss RSD and having blood drawn. Well as you might have guessed yesterday I had to have some labs done. My first thought was a mental groan because I knew what that meant. The endless searching for veins them slapping my arm(OUCH!) looking for a vein, the concerned look on there face yet again. Them thinking oh sh-t she wasn't kidding when she said that she doesn't have an easy time giving blood. I tell them everytime my veins have been affected from the RSD. I make it short and sweet otherwise you lose their interest (sorry don't mean to be sarcastic but it is true ). I always say I have a disease of the nervous system and it affects my veins and blood vessels. That they seem to understand. RSD??! They look at you, still, alot of times, like you just said something unfathomable. I always explain what I know, that they absolutely can not use my right arm, because of the damage. I have learned not to back down on that. I let them use it before and couldn't move my arm for three days after letting them poke me three times and unsuccessfully at that. I've learned since then a firm no is the only correct answer. I am the one to suffer from giving in not them. Anyhow, I make it clear that they need to look exstensively before sticking me, because each stick opens me to infection and aggravates my disease. I think back to when my doctor explained all that to me when I was about a year into the disease, and I really did not understand just how important the things he was telling me to do were. Now I do them and do not care if they get huffy, annoyed, or anything else. Most of the time they are very nice about it since I am nice to them but am just being matter-of-fact about something which is important to my health. Now that I have had RSD longer I realize that each stick does matter. For instance yesterday, everything went just as I described it above and the first person couldn't find it so she asked the head nurse to look. She found it real deep though but one stick. I was so glad but even with one stick it flared my RSD. I went home slapped three lidoderm patches on my arms two on the left and one on the right and had to deal with some horrible pain levels last night and I have no doubt at all it was from that stick. Crazy isn't it? How a simple thing like that, which never would have got a second thought from me before, can cause such a raise in pain levels. I am still battling a flare today but a little better than yesterday. The lidocaine helped some I think it would have been worse without it. What are your thoughts or experiences on RSD and givng blood? I would love to hear your opinions or experiences you can add them to this post.
Love,
Robyn

<NOBR>First </NOBR> <NOBR>Previous </NOBR> <NOBR>2-5 of 5 </NOBR> <NOBR>Next </NOBR> <NOBR>Last </NOBR> <NOBR>Delete Replies </NOBR>

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Yeppers seems like they always want to use the back of my hands and thats the most sensitive for me .So I just put my foot down they don't use that spot or my rt hand/arm at all .I had a doc in one of the walk in clinics stick me about 6 times one night all it was for was a liver function test I ended up walking out and going into the lab the next day the lab tech was amazed at my black and blue arm but was not surprised when I told him a doc did it. So now if they don't get it the 1st time they better get someone else to try the 2nd cause they dont get a 3rd chance
hugs
glenda

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Thank you Robyn for that info. I was wondering why the lab techs were always having a problem drawing blood from me. I never had this problem before rsd. I always have shots or blood drawn from my right arm. The one with less pain. I was told years ago to always drink a lot of water before you have any blood drawn. Thursday I go in for some tests and a biopsy on a lump. So wish me luck and say a little prayer for me. Jeannie

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Glenda,
Been down that road myself way to many times. I am glad you don't let them do that anymore! Six times is really unacceptable what did he think you are a pin cunsion or something. sheesh!
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Jeannie,
I will keep you in my prayers. I hope all goes well and stop in when you can and let us know how you are doing.Good Luck tomorrow.
Love and Hugs,
Robyn

First Previous 2-5 of 5 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Robyn,
When I go in for my blocks, lets just say that the past three times ( I am not looking forward to this Thursday), it has taken them over an hour to start the IV because they can't find the vein. These being RSD nurses accuse me of being dehydrated. Ordinarily, I would agree with them, except I am up at 5AM drinking 5-6 bottles of water just to be sure... I have looked like I have been beaten, and of course, since the blocks are scheduled 2 weeks apart, my arms don't have time to heal, so I have bruising on top of bruising.... green, purple, and brown are really an excellent color scheme to work with...
Of course, the pain afterwards is unreal. What are lidoderm patches? Do they work? I have never heard of them before.
I will check in later.
Have a great evening.
Sassy

Recommend (1 recommendation so far) Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

When I was going in for blocks at the last the nurses would wrap the arm/hand that they were going to put the iv in a warm towel and let it set for a few minutes .That seemed to work pretty well in bringing out the veins .I also bruise very easily . you might suggest that to your nurses
hugs
glenda

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Glenda,
They always put warm compresses on both arms to see which one will pop up first..... There's always at least one in each arm, that likes to appear and then, as they stick me, it's suddenly gone...... I actually had a nurse "digging" in my arm with the IV needle the last time until I finally couldn't handle it any longer and after about 10 minutes of it, my husband made her pull it out..... Of course, I think the damage has been done.... I have been afraid of my RSD spreading and I think I now have it in that arm... A talk with the dr. on Thursday should reveal the reality....
Have a great day..
Toodles,
Sassy

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Sassy,
The RSD affects our veins it isn't your fault and if they wern't so uninformed they would know that!GRRRR! That makes me so mad that they are doing that to you. I have been on the other end of that type of treatment so many times too. Put your foot down before they touch you. I bring literature with me when I get my blood drawn. Yes I know it is kind of in your face but it works. I ask them in conversation if they have ever heard of RSD? I fold the paper and keep it in my pocket. If they say no I hand it to them. I tell them it is a disease of the nervous system and that I have it. I also let them know that any invasive procedures such as blood being drawn or iv being put in can easily spread the RSD further. I ask them to please look very carefully before they even stick me because it would really help if they could get it on one stick.I also tell them that I have bad veins due to the disease and I know from before mine move and collapse easily. I also let them know that I would really appreciate it if they don't have to move the needle all around once they are in there if they can help it. I do this every time.lol You should see the look on their faces. I am sweet as pie when I say all of it so they rarely ever get mad ...lol. A few have looked for a vein couldn't feel anything became nervous and asked someone more experienced to do it ..giggle. Hey you have every right to tell them no if they are hurting you. Ten minutes breaking blooding vessels in your arm is barbaric! What the he$% was she thinking. I'm glad your hubby told them enough. They should never have done that to you. Oh the Lidocaine patches are Lidoderm Lidocaine Patches and they are worn on the area of your body in the most pain arm leg etc. and the Lidocaine helps to calm down the overexcited nerves from the RSD there. They really do help. The drug Lidocaine basically numbs the nerves in the area putting them to sleep for awhile and then it relieves the pain some.
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down