RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Excessive Itching

Go down

RSD and Excessive Itching Empty RSD and Excessive Itching

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 7/27/2005 7:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
This week I thought we could discuss the horrible tortuous itching that comes along with RSD for some of us. I can say that as I type this I have to constantly fight the urge to scratch! It is so miserable! It feels like the time I had the chicken pocks. No matter how many times I ask my husband to scratch my back and shoulder blades it never stops itching. It itches on my arms and other spots here and there but not like my upper back. Just another way our Sympathetic Nervous System is saying hi and I am not working correctly right now.Do you have the itchies? Well if you do or just like to read up on things this is what Dr. Hooshmand had to say on the subject:

RSD PUZZLE #144
Excessive Itching and Neuropathic Pain with Dysesthesia (e.g., pins and needles) in CRPS

This type of pain is not at all uncommon in relatively advanced CRPS patients. Two different factors contribute to this pain:

1. Allodynia, which refers to the fact that the more the area is painful, the less tendency by the patient to touch that area. Lack of touch and massage to the affected area causes more sensitization of the spinal cord and aggravates the pain.

2. Neuro-inflammation, which usually develops after the patient has had this problem for several months or even years. This is due to the fact that sensitization of the spinal cord allows more and more pain input to the central nervous system, resulting in stimulation of the sympathetic system mobilizing the immune system to counteract the itching and neurodermatitis secondary to CRPS/RSD.

The sympathetic system has three main functions as follows:

a. Modulation of the body temperature.

b. Modulation of vital signs, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration.

c. Modulation of immune system. The immune system problem causes neuro-inflammation, which is by far the most disabling manifestation of CRPS/RSD.

TREATMENT

1. The treatment of choice for this condition is soaking in the bathtub with Epsom salt added to the water, which acts as a calcium channel blocker and calms down the neuro-inflammation.

2. The use of surface analgesic creams, especially Zonalon, or Emla Cream to the involved areas.

3. Avoidance of any kind of inactivity, any braces, any wheelchair, or cane, etc., if at possible, because inactivity causes more and more inflammatory reaction. The inactivity causes cold surface of the extremity, but the same blood circulation to the extremity is directed to the deep structures causing osteopenia even fracture of the bone, aggravating the pain tremendously.

4. It is too late for stellate ganglion or lumbar sympathetic ganglion block to do anything for this advanced condition. The patient would benefit from treatments with cervical or lumbar epidural nerve blocks, depending on which part of the body is involved. These blocks should contain not only local anesthetic Marcaine 0.25%, but also Depo- Medrol®️ in small amounts (no more than 15-20mg at a time). The epidural block provides marked improvement lasting for at least 2-4 months. This is in contrast to sympathetic ganglion blocks that don’t last any more than a few hours or days.

5. Other helpful treatments are hydrotherapy, swimming and exercising in a warm heated pool, and most importantly, treatment with analgesic antidepressants such as Trazodone, which prevents the pain to begin with.

Sincerely,
H. Hooshmand, M.D.

It seems the water exercise I have been doing is good for this too...Well that is good to know. I haven't tried the epson salts,but I will definitely give that a try.I am asking my doctor about those two cremes on my next visit. Hey if it helps I will let you all know. Do you have any comments or experiences with itching along with your RSD? If you do just add your comments or experiences to this post.

Love,

Robyn

First Previous 2-7 of 7 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hello Everyone:
Yes, I too have the intense itching. However, if I attempt to scratch, this causes me to have a great deal of pain. Do any of you experience this as well? Any suggestions?
It appears this is another agonizing problem associated with RSD and something that I have to learn to live with. I will soon be going to a specialized hospital for therapy and I will ask many questions. If I find out anything informative and about the itching, I will be sure to pass this information along to everyone. I will be in therapy for 3+ months.
Dave

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

I get big welts with my itchyness, so yes, when I scratch it hurts. I
thought it was a reaction to my meds so I was just started taking Benadryl.
It never occurred to me it could have been the RSD.

I guess I should have asked my dr's but I stay away from them as much as
possible because they always involves pain..................

I just bought a good back scratcher! Heavy duty metal............

Trudy

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

I hate the itching!!!! Drives me nuts.....oh wait, I am nuts! LOL Anyway, when my skin is feeling really sensitive it hurts to itch but I just gotta do it anyway. The other times, I've scratched to itch and left marks on my skin. Nasty looking too....like blood was drawn to the surface of the skin. Ugh! It goes away after about a week.
I just tolerate it cause from talking to others and researching.....the only thing some people have found to help them is a topical cream that has lidocaine in it. Gotten from a Dermatologist or other doc if they know what it is. I can't think of the name right now.

Love and Hugs,
Karen J

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Everybody,
It does hurt to scratch it and it burns too. Anyone notice that too? I also get bumps and welts that are red and itch like crazy.Good luck with the therapy Dave and keep us informed. I noticed if you rub it (not lightly) it helps the itch stop for a little bit. Anyone else notice this? That way I am not breaking my skin open.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Hi! My name is Yvonne (new member). I was diagnosed with RSD in March '05. Over the past year, I have experienced intermittent bouts of excessive itching involving my entire body, including the palms and soles of my feet. I thought I was going to go crazy. Until I read your post, I would never have linked it to RSD. I actually thought it was some sort of crazy allergy. I did some research over the internet and could only come up with a possible liver disorder. It's a relief to know RSD may be the explanation.

Thanks.
Yvonne

Hoosick Falls, NY

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hi Yvonne,
Great to hear from you! It is really horrible isn't it! It is from the nerves sending messed up signals and it itches like mad too. I am glad you read the post at least now you know you aren't losing your mind. I hope you enjoy being a member and talk to you soon.
Love,
Robyn
----- Original Message -----
To: RSD Outreach
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: RSD and Excessive Itching

-----------------------------------------------------------

New Message on RSD Outreach

Message 3 in Discussion

Hi! My name is Yvonne (new member). I was diagnosed with RSD in March '05. Over the past year, I have experienced intermittent bouts of excessive itching involving my entire body, including the palms and soles of my feet. I thought I was going to go crazy. Until I read your post, I would never have linked it to RSD. I actually thought it was some sort of crazy allergy. I did some research over the internet and could only come up with a possible liver disorder. It's a relief to know RSD may be the explanation. Thanks. Yvonne Hoosick Falls, NY

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
http://groups.msn.com/RSDOutreach/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
mailto:RSDOutreach-remove@groups.msn.com

0 recommendations Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Hi Trina,
It is maddening! You just want to rip your own skin off. It does burn really bad when you scratch it even if you just rub it. I'll have to try your warm bath idea next time. Thanks for the idea!
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum