RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Self Esteem

Go down

RSD and Self Esteem Empty RSD and Self Esteem

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 10/7/2005 9:08 AM
Hi Everyone,
This week I thought that we could discuss RSD/chronic pain and how it affects our self esteem. Personally I feel RSD has not only turned my life upside down but inside out, so it isn't surprising that our self esteem or self worth can be damaged in the process. I know I second guess myself alot more since RSD has entered my life. Where before I always felt firmly rooted on solid ground I now feel that my feet are not planted so firmly on the ground. How do we begin to attack this? That is a tough one, but all I can say is these are some things that are working for me to repair the damage. I wake up everyday and live it to the fullest. I only stay in pajamas in the hospital or when I am having a horrible flare. I perform as many daily tasks as I physically can even if it takes a much longer time than it ever did before. I rest when needed but then resume where I left off. I don't do anything that would cause more damage though. It is tricky to find what works for you but not impossible. Sometimes just loading my dishwasher might take a few hours especially if alot of breaks are needed that day. As you know the pain never lifts from our lives but some days are better than others. I complete as much of my self care as possible showering,hair shapooing etc. If I have to I ask my husband for help. I only ask for help when I have to which helps me feel less reliant on other people. I am starting to realize that when RSD becomes a part of our life it is all to easy to get swallowed up by the whole thing. I try my best to keep positive and when the negative thoughts and feelings seep in I listen to music, do a hobby I love, or any other activity which makes me feel good,meditation is a good bad mood breaker as well. We all have negative thoughts creep in like"I am less a person now"," I am not independant anymore and have to ask people for help","My life is so different now and I miss my life before","I can't work anymore so I just don't feel as important as I used to. Well you get the idea. The trick for me is to not feed into these thoughts when they come around and to remind myself of all the things that I can do not what I can't. We are more a person now than before because we are forced to travel a much harder road than before. That isn't much comfort when the pain is at it's worst, but it always looks better the next day when once again we prove to ourselves that we have an inner strength that we didn't know was there before. I am still an artist,mother,friend,wife, and just as strong willed and independant as before. I prove that to myself everyday I force my screaming body out of bed and face the day. I don't want to miss one single minute, I appreciate life so much more now. I really used to take life for granted before and that is definitely not the case now. Feel proud of yourself everyday because we are all survivors. RSD doesn't define who we are and how we feel about ourselves. It came into my life unwanted and I refuse to live tiptoeing around it. My life is mine and I am determined more than ever to enjoy it the best I can. How do you feel about this? Do you feel less secure since RSD has entered your life? Do any of the things I talked about hit home with you? If you would like to respond with your opinions or experiences about RSD and self esteem just add to this post. As always I would love to hear from you!
Love,
Robyn
Here is some info on self esteem:
To Maintain Healthy Self-Esteem...

Celebrate your strengths and achievements.

Forgive yourself for your mistakes.

Don't dwell on your weaknesses, every human has them.

Change the way you talk to yourself -- stop putting yourself down!

Be sure that you are not judging yourself against unreasonable standards.

Beating yourself for your weaknesses is self defeating. Use that energy for positive thoughts about you.

check out this link for self esteem games http://www.selfesteemgames.mcgill.ca/games/index.htm

l Go To Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Thanks Robyn for the wonderful article. have a low pain day Irish

First Previous 2-5 of 5 Next Last Delete Replies

0 recommendations Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Hi

This is a good subject to talk about. I know from past experiences that being depressed is such a waste.I know from past experiences,somehow,someway things work out.God has a way of taking care of all of our trials and tribulations in his own time.

I truly believe I could cope much better if I didnt have wc kicking me in the behind all the time. Bringing me down with their stupid tactics and making me feel like Im losing my mind. I know this isnt psychological,this is a real thing going on.The pain is unbearable. Right now the pain is so horrible,shooting all the way up my arm,into my neck. I am like Robyn,I do a little at a time.It may take me 2 hours to do dishes,I just take water out,put more hot in.i take my time doing anything. I know to overdo it sends my pain levels sky high.I am so sick of what wc is doing to me .Can you imagine being told you are purposely not using your hand to get atrophy so it will "look" like you have something wrong. Why I ask myself would anyone want to do something so terribly stupid. Why would I want to give up things I like to do only to fake something .If only they were in our shoes,feel our pain,our flares we have,live our life .I loved being active.I hate it I cant do things like I used to.I do my best though.I use my arm the best I can.I think my problems with depression would be more under control if wc didnt make such stupid accusations. I keep thinking somehow I will find a way to sue them for what they are doing to me.

The older you get the more precious life is.And I make the best of each day.Im in a major flare over the treatment of the pt and the exam he put me through but Im fighting back. I will not tolerate his behavior.

I like to think maybe its met for all of us to be here talking to each other.That each one of us here has rsd for a reason. I thoroughly enjoy coming here and reading posts to see how everyone is doing.I am always checking here to see if anyone posted.

Well I have typed enough.
love and hugs
liz

0 recommendations Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Bethanna

I dont know about me.I read the posts and my mind is so nutty I guess I seen the depression below self esteem and forgot and wrote mine on depression. I used to have such a sharp mind .I couldnt believe what I done.

I am the kind of person who is a survivor. Wc is trying to take me down but they wont do it. I know what they are doing is very wrong and I know for sure there is something bad wrong.They are lieing about me and God knows this,God knows what they are doing to me.Ive done so many good things for people in my life and He knows Im honest and caring and somehow this will backfire for them.

I do hate asking people to do things for me .Thank God my one son who isnt quite right does all kinds of stuff for me around here.He takes care of the yard,makes me a garden.I just put the seeds in,he does everything else.I can pull weeds with my good hand.So that helps me. Its just hard not being able to do all the things I once did.I feel very sad more than depressed.

sorry i got off on the wrong discussion.you guys have to over look me. i think i have rsd of the brain.just joking trying to be funny.

love and hugs liz
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum