RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWD:Abdul, Drool and Chronic Pain

Go down

FWD:Abdul, Drool and Chronic Pain Empty FWD:Abdul, Drool and Chronic Pain

Post  byrd45 Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:10 am

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Abdul, Drool and Chronic Pain
You hear wry comments about Paula Abdul's stoned drooling, on American Idol, more often than you hear complaints about Simon Cowell's nastiness.

I've never noticed it myself. Sometimes, I wonder if it's sour grapes. She was a brilliant dancer and choreographer, before she suffered injuries, and a pretty good singer too. She's still good natured and likeable, and nice looking.

Nevertheless, Paula has acknowledged that she suffers from a severe chronic pain syndrome, called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, or CRPS, and formerly known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystonia, or RSD.

Read more here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-05-11-abdul-pain_x.htm

I've treated clients who suffered from this disorder. It's not imaginary and it's often a severe problem. Ordinary pain killers don't work very well, except, possibly, in high doses. Suicides are not uncommon.

The Wikipedia article looks about right, at least this week:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_regional_pain_syndrome

Paula Abdul, then, even if she does drool on herself, occasionally, gives us cause for celebration. Despite this dreadful condition, she feels well enough to appear on TV, week after week, live, for an hour or more. She seems happy and friendly; she comments intelligently, if goofily, on music and dance. If her medicine makes her a little goofy, and if she occasionally forgets to swallow her saliva, she's welcome to it.

Those of you who suffer chronic pain, or who love someone who does, watch Paula and be comforted. If a good doctor, prescribing the right medication can give Paula good pain control, leaving her well enough to appear on live television, others can be helped, too.

Keep smiling.

Posted by The Good Doctor at 5:11 PM

Labels: narcotics, pain

0 comments:
Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
▼ 2007 (4)
▼ February (4)
Rule of Thumb #22
Abdul, Drool and Chronic Pain
Sex, Babies and Milk
Fun and Happy

About Me

Timothy Miller
Stockton, CA, US
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, 5250 Claremont Ave,. Suite 112, Stockton, CA 95207, 209-478-8568. Father of 2 children, ages 17 and 19, married 25 years, author of How to Want What You Have, (1994).
View my complete profile
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down