RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Work In Progress, My Story.......By Kelly

Go down

A Work In Progress, My Story.......By Kelly Empty A Work In Progress, My Story.......By Kelly

Post  byrd45 Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

From: CoffeeCabinLady (Original Message) Sent: 12/29/2005 1:36 AM
Hello everyone, thank you for letting me join. I have finally gotten to the point where I am seeking information more off the Internet. My story begins in Feb. of 2004 I was walking to my car in the parking lot one night after work and I slipped on the ice. I put my left arm out to make sure I didn’t hit my head and then I remember the force of hitting the ice sending me backwards. The next thing I did was open my eyes which I thought was a few seconds later. I walked back in the building and my supervisor who said goodbye to me 20 minutes earlier asked me where I had been. I told her that I just fell and it wasn’t until I was handed the Workers Comp paperwork and we looked at the time that I realized I was outside for quite awhile. Because of my confusion she took advantage of me and told me to stop writing after I got the basics on my form and had wrote about 5 words about the accident. She said she would fill in everything on her form. She did check several boxes to show different parts of my body that hurt but she didn’t give me a copy of the form so I could see a doctor over the weekend.

<o:p></o:p>

I suffered through that night and then called my chiropractor in the morning, which was a Saturday. She told me to come in to see her on my lunch hour on Monday. Her first report listed that the accident happened with an outstretched head but she didn’t specifically say I had hit my head. I got treatment from her for about a month and realized that I wasn’t getting better. I could not believe how much pain my shoulder was giving me. I had her give me a referral to a hand and arm orthopedic surgeon. It would take several weeks to see him but since I had minor surgery on my AC joint the October before they sent me to PT. I couldn’t move my arm because it hurt so bad to do the PT. I finally got in to see the doctor and he sent me to get a CAT scan, which showed nothing and then a scan with dye looking for a rotator cuff tear. Everything turned out negative but still I hurt so much I totally quit using the arm. Finally, in August the doctor did exploratory to see what was wrong with my arm and then repaired 2 tears to it. I was so exhausted by the time I had surgery that I was walking around in a daze. I had never quit working until the surgery in August. I noticed I had vision problems and memory problems during that time but I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want to look stupid (messed up thinking). Now the pain doctor who new me before recognizes that I am not the same woman he new before but for months I didn’t know what was wrong with me. When I couldn’t participate in the therapy for the rotator cuff after surgery fully due to pain the doctor sent me to a rehab doctor telling me I had a pain syndrome. He didn’t explain what that was and I only new that my left hand was swelling up and turning red to purple, this was in October. I had noticed strange dark hairs on my arm in July and my nails grew very quickly and then quit growing very much with a deep ridge in one nail and little ones in the rest.

I had the 3 phase bone scan in December and the person doing the test told me it was positive. I went to see the doctor and she told me that the technician made a mistake and the only area that showed up was my shoulder and that was due to the surgery. I asked to go to a PT that I knew was the best in town in November. She was able to help me make baby steps towards the healing of my shoulder but my hand was still purple. In December the rehab doctor told me that I had CRPS and sent me to the clinic where I knew the pain doctor before for him to do stellate ganglion blocks. This first block was very helpful but I could not get scheduled due to Workers Comp for another one until the end of Jan so all of the bad symptoms were there. I had a few more blocks, which didn’t help as much as the first but helped some. By March I felt symptoms for sure in the right arm even though doctors would try to convince me that the pain wasn’t from CRPS I would loose control of my hand and be unable to grip things some days. By July I had pain and redness in both knees and the new rehab doctor I have now (thankfully the doctor who wasn’t much help was fired from the clinic I saw her at) examined me and felt the heat in both knees

In October is when things went really bad for me. I worked late on a Friday night and was on my way home around 8:00 p.m. so it was getting dark. I realized that a truck with its lights off was changing lanes whenever I did. I pulled into a mini-mall just before my house without much notice to see if they followed. I was shocked when they came looking for me as I hid at the pizza hut. I was so nervous about being followed that I didn’t get a plate but just saw 2 young men in the vehicle. I quickly exited the mall and drove the block to my house. I had to wait to back into the driveway because my son was leaving. I backed into my parking space and was slowly getting some things from the back seat when I realized someone was looking at me. There was the truck in the median stopped, I know now that they were filming me. I had seen that my neighbor was looking out her window before so I glanced over to see if she was still there. The men in the truck must have followed my glance because they speeded away. At least I have a witness to this thanks to a nosey neighbor. This happened the week before I was to be sent to Portland, OR for my third IME by the insurance company. The IME doctors, of course, found nothing wrong with me except that I have mental problems. They totally ignored all reports and the 2nd & 3rd bone scans which showed that I had continuing changes in my right and left arm.

Where I was after that I didn’t understand. I believe from the shock and fright of being followed that within 2 days both feet and my legs from the knee down were swollen and red as well as hot. My feet hurt on the top very badly and I could not stand to wear any of my shoes. I was to leave on a Sunday and the Thursday before I went for a stellate ganglion block and they wouldn’t do it due to the fact that my legs were so swollen. They sent me to the ER to rule out blood clots and such. The ER doctor didn’t find any clot or reason for the swelling, redness and heat. I had to hobble my way to Portland and see the doctors still slightly swollen. This same event with something that is extremely emotional coming before the swelling started again 2 weeks ago and I am still very swollen, hot and red in both legs. I went back to the ER this week and they ran every test they could think of and then called the pain doctor before coming in to tell me that this must be the CRPS/RSD moving to my legs. Merry Christmas! I saw the rehab doctor today and she was very understanding even helping me with something so I can sleep which I have had little of in 4 nights. I am so afraid of hurting in bed that I put off going there.

In a nutshell my whole life has changed in less than 2 years. I sold my house a month after the surgery and moved in with my mom to rehab never thinking it would take so long except that I knew I was exhausted and in terrible pain that people didn’t understand. I have half of her house but it isn’t like your own home. Last weekend was the final blow to my spirit. I find that few people have any clue what I am going through and get bored with my inability to have fun any more. Since I have had several things to deal with as far as an injury to my neck that resulted in a stimulator I know pain, but I was put on Topamax and was symptom free for headaches until the fall on the ice.

Overall, I have tried to keep a positive attitude. When all leave that I could use was run out in May my doctor asked me what I wanted to do. I told him that I want to work because it keeps my mind off the pain. He released me to work and apparently while I was not allowed to drive WC should have been paying me for the time off for doctor and PT visits. Instead, I have had to use my leave to go to them and WC has denied everything now because the experts say all I have is a mental problem. In this state you have pre-hearings with a staff member from the state to try to work out problems before going to a hearing with the Workers Comp Board. I have requested a SIME and have tried as best I can to fill out the papers by myself. I am proud of the fact that with several months of work with a cognitive therapist I have learned some ways to try to remember things and to be a little bit easier on myself when I can’t remember a simple word. Now I want to set up a support group with the help of my family doctor because I can’t find anyone in Anchorage who has one. I know that people in chronic pain need to talk to each other because we are each other’s support. As much as loved ones try to understand they just don’t get the fact that you are different and may never by the same.

That is my story—Whew has all of that and more happened in less than 2 years? God is still with me and I feel him close when I feel the worst. Thanks again for letting me in. I have much to learn.

Kelly the previous Coffee Cabin woman

First Previous 2-6 of 6 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Kelly,
All I can say is THEY ARE THE PITS!!!!! Workers Comp has treated me just as rotten and there are thousands and thousands more going through the same stuff right now as we are. I am truly sorry they are doing this to you! They only care about one thing money and let's face it when they hear RSD/CRPS that means lots of money for treatments,meds,doctors and hospital visits. Don't give up on finding that lawyer look long and hard. I have had to retain one myself to protect my interests. They will say and do anything to get you to give up and say forget it this isn't worth it etc. We both know this really isn't an option for someone in our position however they will try. Next time they follow you I would drive to the nearest police station or if you have a cell phone call the police and tell them that someone is following you and you are scared to death. It should be pretty entertaining to hear them explain to the police that they are following you and taking your picture but don't mean you any harm lol Love to be a fly on the wall that day. I wouldn't discuss anything to do with your injury or anything like that with anyone at work. They aren't going to change their views on the whole thing and that will probably be one of the first things a lawyer advises you. I am so proud of you for keeping a positive attitude and not giving up. I have a feeling things are just going to keep getting better now a little at a time. Fingers Crossed.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

HELLO EVERYONE! IAM SO GLAD TO HEAR HOWN GREAT WORKMANS COMP IS IN EVERY STATE THEY ARE SUCH WONDERFUL AND CAREING JERKS HERE IN OHIO AS WELL KELLY I KNOW ALL TO WELL WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU I WAS CRUSHED AND PINNED IN A 60 FOOT CAROUSEL MACHINE IN MARCH OF 2004I HAVE BEEN THRIUGH 2 ATTORNEYS AND I HAVE FOUND ONE WHO IS GREAT TRY CALLING 1-800-TO -DAVID HIS NME IS DAVID ROACH AND HE HAS GREAT SUCESS IAM HOPEING HE MAY HAVE FRIENDS UP YOUR WAY TO HELP YOU MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL GOOD LUCK AND I WANNA WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY AND HOPEFULLY PAIN FREE YEAR
CONNIE MIRACLE

0 recommendations Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Dear Jeannie,
You are so right! You would think they would want to help the people that truly need it instead they treat us like dog dirt. We can never ever give up either no matter what they do.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Lumpy,
It seems that no matter where you go one thing is consistent WC are downright disreputable when it comes to taking care of people who are seriously injured. They don't like to hear that the doctors can't guarantee that this procedure or that treatment will make your body tip top shape again. Never once do they think or care that there are people on the other end of their paperwork and numbers who are losing a heck of a lot more then money if you know what I mean. It is truly sad and our system needs to change for the better. Hopefully someday soon it will!
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down