RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi I'm Laura

Go down

Hi I'm Laura Empty Hi I'm Laura

Post  byrd45 Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:32 pm

My name is Laura and I am 28 years old. I live in Nashville, TN and I am an addictions counselor and a graduate student. I was diagnosed with RSD a couple of months ago. I had spinal fusion surgery on August 3rd 2005. After the surgery (which was to help pain in my right leg and lower back) I started have weird feelings in my left leg and foot. A couple of weeks after the surgery, my left leg and foot started hurting when it was touched. As the weeks went on, the pain got worse and worse. Eventually my left foot constantly felt like it was on fire or someone was stabbing me in the foot with a knife. I told my orthopeidic surgeon about the pain and he put me through more tests. Eventually he referred me to another doctor in the orthopeidic practice, although he specializes in nerve issues. He performed three steriod epicdurals, which did not work. He had also performed two sympathetic blocks and he wants to do three more before we give up on those. This doctor has me on Neurontin, Noritrypline, Clonodine patch, Percocet and Ambien. I am not sure if anything is helping because the pain is so bad all of the time. I am doing physical therapy to increase range of motion in my foot (I cannot bend my toes right now). We are also going to start working on desensitization in physical therapy. I just came back to work this week after three months off due to the surgery and the RSD. Today is only Tuesday and I feel like I have worked all week. I am worried about being able to work and go to school and deal with the RSD. I am not sure what to do anymore. My boyfriend and I fight all the time and he does not understand what I am going through and why I just can't "tough it out". I am looking forward to communicating with others who understand what I am feeling. I am also curious as to treatments and medications that others are trying and what is helpful. Glad to be a part of the group!!!

First Previous 2-3 of 3 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

"My boyfriend and I fight all the time and he does not understand what I am going through and why I just can't "tough it out".

It took many months to understand what it is that RSD actually does, its easy to look on the web and say, well why cant you just tough it out, just put it in your mind that it dont hurt and it wont, but then after thoes many months with my husband from the start of his I have relized that its not a option, just take time with him and try to get him to understand that this is what it is, and that you are going to do everything you can to get it to go into remission.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Hi Laura,
It is really great to have you here with us, but I am so sorry for what you are going through. Print out the Mcgill pain index and leave it in a place where he may notice it. Maybe if he sees that it might click how bad things are for you. It is posted in RSD in the News. Check it out and see what you think. Then be ready to explain how things are for you when he asks. I hope this will help. Sometimes people who love us are in denial because it is to painful to see us like that. This could be what is happening. My mom was like that for awhile but now her eyes are wide open and it is much easier for me and her. I hope he comes around. Just remember that if he doesn't understand that isn't your fault. Anyway, how did the rest of your week go? I hope you are doing well.
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum