RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWD:RSDHope-Medical ID Chip

Go down

FWD:RSDHope-Medical ID Chip Empty FWD:RSDHope-Medical ID Chip

Post  byrd45 Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 am

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

2 ) MEDICAL ID CHIP

Reported February 24, 2006
BOSTON (Ivanhoe Broadcast News) -- What happens if you're in a bad accident and cannot communicate with emergency workers and doctors? Now, a tiny chip may answer that question and many others doctors have about your medical history.

In an emergency room, a split-second decision can mean the difference between life and death.

"Many operating physicians have to operate blind. We have to make medical decisions not knowing what kind of medicines you take or allergies you have," says Harvard doctor John Halamka, M.D., of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. He says a radiofrequency identification chip may solve that problem, and he had it implanted in his upper right arm!

A scanner reads an identification number. Those 16 digits are then entered into a secure Web site where his medical history is stored. Beth Israel Deaconess EMT worker Brian Orsatti says the chip could help emergency workers. "One of the big things is if you ever have some type of trauma patient where they come in and they're unable to give their information and or their medical history," he says.

Anyone can get the chip and, while some patients may be concerned about privacy issues, Dr. Halamka says the benefits are clear. "I am a rock climber, and I believe if I fall off the edge of a cliff and you find me unconscious, the comfort of being able to scan me and figure find out who I am outweighs my concern for privacy."

The chip is encased in unbreakable glass and is about the size of a grain of rice. The procedure is done with anesthesia and is relatively pain-free.

To read the rest of this article, click on the link below;

http://www.rsdhope.org/Showpage.asp?PAGE_ID=130&PGCT_ID=3818
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down