RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Fibromyalgia

Go down

RSD and Fibromyalgia Empty RSD and Fibromyalgia

Post  byrd45 Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:08 pm

General : Weekly Discussion-RSD and Fibromyalgia
Choose another message board
Prev Discussion Next Discussion Delete

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,
I thought this week we could discuss RSD and Fibromyalgia. Some of us who have RSD also can end up with Fibromyalgia. Of course just because some of us end up getting both doesn't mean that everyone with RSD will also develop Fibromyalgia and those people who have Fibromyalgia won't necessarily end up with RSD. Unfortunately after seeing my Neurologist the other day she told me that she feels I have developed this due to the muscles constantly being agitated and never resting from the nerve signals non-stop. Anyhow I thought it would be interesting to us all to find out just what Fibromyalgia is and it's symptoms and treatments. Let's check out what Keith from American RSDHope has to say on the subject:
Fibromyalgia
SYMPTOMS Most patients with fibromyalgia say that they ache all over. Their muscles may feel like they have been pulled or overworked. Sometimes the muscles twitch and at other times they burn. More women than men are afflicted with fibromyalgia, but it shows up in people of all ages.

Pain - The pain of fibromyalgia has no boundaries. People describe the pain as deep muscular aching, burning, throbbing, shooting and stabbing. Quite often, the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively.

Multiple Tender Areas - (muscle and joint pain) on the back of the neck, shoulders, sternum, lower back, hip, shin, elbows, knees.

Chronic headaches - Recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches are seen in about 50% of fibromyalgia patients and can pose as a major problem in coping for this patient group.

Fatigue This symptom can be mild in some patients and yet incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks, and they have difficulty concentrating.

Sleep Disturbances - Most fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder called the alpha-EEG anomaly. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine which recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that fibromyalgia syndrome patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (or stage 4) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity. The sleep pattern for clinically depressed patients is distinctly different from that found in FMS or CFS.

Body Aches

Reduced Exercise Tolerance

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Constipation, diarrhea, frequent abdominal pain, abdominal gas and nausea represent symptoms frequently found in roughly 40% to 70% of fibromyalgia patients.

Chronic Facial Muscle Pain or Aching

Other Common Symptoms - Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea), chest pain, morning stiffness, cognitive or memory impairment, numbness and tingling sensations, muscle twitching, irritable bladder, the feeling of swollen extremities, skin sensitivities, dry eyes and mouth, frequent changes in eye prescription, dizziness, and impaired coordination can occur.

Aggravating factors - Changes in weather, cold or drafty environments, hormonal fluctuations (premenstrual and menopausal states), stress, depression, anxiety and over-exertion can all contribute to symptom flare-ups.

There is alot of info here: so check out the rest at your convience:

http://www.rsdhope.org/ShowPage.asp?PAGE_ID=31

We will pick this discussion up tomorrow because I am going out to see Matt. Talk to you all then.

LOve,

Robyn

First Previous 2-4 of 4 Next Last Delete Replies

0 recommendations Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

0 recommendations Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,
I am finally getting back to finishing the second part of this discussion. Sorry it took so long, but better late than never I guess. I have been traveling a rough road lately but am trying my best. Anyhow, getting back to the Fibromyalgia, I have been noticing one thing for sure that is definitely related and boy it is rough pain wise. It is a deep muscle pain,extremely sharp in the muscle of my gluteous maxemous (behind)It is horrible and movement makes it worse(figures). I have been so tired too. My face has been getting extremely numb too off and on it gets so numb it feels like when you go to the dentist and get a few shots of novacaine. Very sharp pains in my hips and pins and needles in my feet have been a big problem lately too.My stomach has been a real mess too and without getting to graphic it hasn't been going wonderful lately. Anyhow, lets look back in on Keith at RSDHope and see what else he says Fibromyalgia.

He says:
ALTERNATIVE NAMES Fibromyositis; Fibrositis; Myofasical Pain Syndrome

Fibromyalgia
TREATMENT In mild cases, symptoms may go away when stress is decreased. Treatment includes patient education, physical therapy, and counseling. Many fibromyalgia sufferers have found support groups helpful.

Traditional treatments are geared toward improving the quality of sleep, as well as reducing pain. Because deep level (stage 4) sleep is so crucial for many body functions, such as tissue repair, antibody production, and perhaps even the regulation of various neurotransmitters, hormones and immune system chemicals, the sleep disorders that frequently occur in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue patients are thought to be a major contributing factor to the symptoms of this condition.

Medicines that boost your body‘s level of serotonin and norepinephrine--neurotransmitters that modulate sleep, pain and immune system function--are commonly prescribed.

Examples of drugs in this category would include Elavil, Flexeril, Sinequan, Paxil, Serzone, Xanax and Klonopin. A low dose of one of these medications may be of help. In addition, nonsteroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen may also be beneficial.

Most patients will probably need to use other treatment methods as well, such as trigger point injections with lidocaine, physical therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, relaxation techniques, osteopathic manipulation, chiropractic care, therapeutic massage, or a gentle exercise program.

No special diets are recommended at this time, though some reports indicate that fish oil, magnesium/malic acid combinations, or vitamins may be effective. Reducing stress and improving coping skills may also help reduce painful symptoms.

Improved fitness through exercise is recommended. The best way to begin a fitness program is to start with low impact exercises like walking and swimming. Starting slowly helps stretch and mobilize tight, sore muscles. High-impact aerobics and weight lifting could cause increased discomfort. Gentle stretching and light massage may help relieve symptoms, as will electronic acupuncture and relaxation techniques.

Severe cases of fibromyalgia may require a referral to a pain clinic

If you want to read about Fibromyalgia and sleep follow this link

http://www.rsdhope.org/Showpage.asp?PAGE_ID=1&PGCT_ID=3629

follow the following link and it will take you to RSDHope's page of link's on Fibromyalgia:

http://www.rsdhope.org/ShowPage.asp?PAGE_ID=70

Well all this information makes some sense to me and why I have been having all these things happening lately. I was at the point I just would blame everything that was a new symptom on the RSD. Good thing I discussed all the things that were happening to me with my doctor. She became curious and did an exam on me that they use to diagnose people with Fibromyalgia and that is how I found out that this was part of the problem along with the RSD.

Here is some other info I found at another site:

What Is Fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points. "Tender points" refers to tenderness that occurs in precise, localized areas, particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. People with this syndrome may also experience sleep disturbances, morning stiffness, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, and other symptoms.

How Many People Have Fibromyalgia?

According to the American College of Rheumatology, fibromyalgia affects 3 to 6 million Americans. It primarily occurs in women of childbearing age, but children, the elderly, and men can also be affected.

What Causes Fibromyalgia?

Although the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown, researchers have several theories about causes or triggers of the disorder. Some scientists believe that the syndrome may be caused by an injury or trauma. This injury may affect the central nervous system. Fibromyalgia may be associated with changes in muscle metabolism, such as decreased blood flow, causing fatigue and decreased strength. Others believe the syndrome may be triggered by an infectious agent such as a virus in susceptible people, but no such agent has been identified.

How Is Fibromyalgia Diagnosed?

Fibromyalgia is difficult to diagnose because many of the symptoms mimic those of other disorders. The physician reviews the patient's medical history and makes a diagnosis of fibromyalgia based on a history of chronic widespread pain that persists for more than 3 months. The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) has developed criteria for fibromyalgia that physicians can use in diagnosing the disorder. According to ACR criteria, a person is considered to have fibromyalgia if he or she has widespread pain in combination with tenderness in at least 11 of 18 specific tender point sites.

Well this information certainly makes alot of sense to me and makes it a little easier to see what has been happening to me lately. I hope everyone found learning about Fibromyalgia interesting and if you have any comments or life experiences Iwould love to hear from you. Just add your thoughts,ideas, or experiences to this post.

Love,

Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down