RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Healthy" French Fries

Go down

"Healthy" French Fries Empty "Healthy" French Fries

Post  byrd45 Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

From: byrd45 (Original Message) Sent: 11/14/2007 12:03 PM
"Healthy" French Fries
Five Ingredients or Less. Even a Fool Can Cook Like a Gourmet

Serves 2. Can be multiplied easily
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

1 large Idaho potato. Scrubbed but no need to take off the skin. There are nutrients there!
4 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive oil
Olive oil spray
*Toppings: See note below

Cut your baking potato in half across the potato. This will make shorter fries so you can eat more of them without feeling guilty. Then cut the halves in half again the long way. This gives you a stable surface if you set it on the flat side. Now work your way across the potato cutting 1/3 inch strips. Cut those slices into strips so you have the French fry shape. (Some of you will have a mandolin and can do this faster). You'll have a few odd shaped ends but no matter. That same thing happens for McDonald's too.

Now, here's the brilliance I learned from Cooking Light. Take a large zip lock bag. Put the olive oil in. (They used canola oil. I try to use olive oil whenever possible for the health benefits).

Put your potato strips (fries) in the bag and toss them around to coat them. Then spray a large cookie sheet with olive oil spray and dump your potatoes on the cookie sheet. Spread them out so they don't touch any more than necessary. The more French fry surface that touches the cookie sheet the crispier your fries will be.

Now sprinkle on your topping (or combination of toppings. You can also have "after baking" toppings. See below). If you're a purist you might just do sea salt. Grate some on.

Other options include:

Curry powder
Southwester seasoning (my personal favorite)
Your favorite meat rub (not just for meat anymore)
Pepper or cayenne
Garlic powder
(You get the idea. Discover what's in your spice cabinet).

Sprinkle on your choice (or choices) and put in a 400 degree oven. You'll roast them for 20 minutes. Then turn them over using a metal spatula. You might not get them all turned over but go for the most you can. Then do not turn them again. Wait until the full 50 minutes before being tempted to toss them around.

The fries will be crispy and the flavor(s) you chose will be baked in.

Now you can consider "after baking" toppings. Put these onto the hot fries.

Grated parmesan cheese
Grated cheddar cheese
Grated popcorn seasonings (there are several flavors on the market)
Fresh herbs, like minced parsley, tarragon or chives.

The fries are marvelous with or without the "after baking" toppings. I'm just trying to inspire you to be bold. These are great without ketchup, gravy, barbecue sauce or any other kind of dips but I'll leave those extra calories up to you.

Also, feel free to make these fries with sweet potatoes. The only change I'd make is I'd peel them.
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down