RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD/Panic Attacks and Other Limbic System Disturbances

Go down

RSD/Panic Attacks and Other Limbic System Disturbances Empty RSD/Panic Attacks and Other Limbic System Disturbances

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 5/1/2006 10:22 AM
Hi Everyone,
This weeks discussion is on RSD and Panic Attacks and other Limbic System Disturbances. As I'm sure alot of us already know there are emotional aspects that come along with RSD. It is far greater than having an illness without a cure. The limbic system is affected and this can involve problems with sleep, depression, poor memory, irritability, poor judgement, concentration problems, agitation, and panic attacks. You might have noticed some of these or all of these happening as part of your experience with having RSD. What is the limbic system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNS Staff Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brain tour : find out more about the brain

LIMBIC SYSTEM
click here for interactive tour of the brain

What is the Limbic System?
In our brains there are several primitive structures that give us important abilities that are needed for the survival of the species. The “limbic system” is that group of brain structures devoted to the ability to fight or run away in an emergency. The limbic system also helps us to remember events that caused strong emotions.

Where is the Limbic System?
Deep within the center of our advanced “thinking brain” (cerebral hemispheres), there is a primitive “emotion brain” (limbic system). The limbic system consists of several structures, including the amygdala (sometimes called the rage center), and the hippocampus (an important part of our memory system).

How does the Limbic System Work?
If someone were to be attacked, the limbic system would first produce fear and then perhaps rage. The fear would energize the body to help you to run away, if possible. If not, your limbic system might trigger a rage, which would prepare the body to fight in a ferocious manner, to protect yourself or your loved ones. Picture a mother bear protecting her cubs from a predator, and you will get the idea.

Why is the Limbic System Important for Neuropsychiatric Disorders?
Since this is our “emotion brain”, it is vulnerable to disorders in brain chemistry and in brain electrical activity. Some disorders run in families and are genetic in origin, while others are acquired by developmental brain damage (e.g.; drugs or alcohol used during pregnancy, or a difficult birth). A disorder in the “emotion brain” can produce emotions that are out-of-control. Extreme acts of violence, suicidal behavior, agitation, and mood swings can be due to disorders of this brain system.

Now that we know what the limbic system is, this is a little info about percentages of people, who were affected in different areas of the limbic brain during a study that Dr. Hooshmand had done.

4. EMOTIONAL ASPECTS OF CRPS:

LIMBIC SYSTEM DYSFUNCTION

The forth and final diagnostic principle is emotional disturbance in CRPS. In contrast to somatic sensory nerves, the sensory neuropathic nerve fibres responsible for the development of CRPS do not end up in the contralateral neocortical parietal sensory cortex. Instead, according to Bennarroch, over 90% of these sensory nerve impulses terminate in the limbic system. More over, positron emission tomography (PET) demonstrates a significant cerebral insular and limbic activation during painful stimulation of neuropathic pain. The vicious circle of chronic neuropathic pain leading to disturbance of plasticity, as well as inflammation, causes further long term potentiation (LTP)of pain impulse and nerve stimulation in higher centers in the limbic system. This leads to insomnia, agitation, depression, poor memory and poor judgment. The above neurophysiological observations explain the fact that practically every patient suffering from CRPS demonstrates some degree of limbic system disturbance. In our study of 824 patients, one or more of the limbic system dysfunctions were present in every case except three. These consisted of insomnia (92%), irritability, agitation, anxiety (78%), (depression (73%), poor memory and concentration (48%), poor judgment (36%), and panic attacks (32%). Understanding the nature of emotional components of RSD spares the patient from misdiagnosis and improper treatment.

Personally I have been having the irritability, poor memory and concentration, agitation, and insomnia for quite some time now. It is only recently that I have started having the panic attacks. I didn't even realize what they were at first since I had never had one before and it really scared me until I realized what was happening. I am now on a med that really helps keep them at bay. Here are the symptoms just in case it is happening or should happen to you.....

Panic Attack
SYMPTOMS
A panic attack is a discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
Sweating
Trembling or shaking
Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
Feeling of choking
Chest pain or discomfort
Nausea or abdominal distress
Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
Fear of losing control or going crazy
Fear of dying
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Chills or hot flushes
Well I would love to hear any comments or experiences you would like to add to this discussion. As always just add it to this post. Talk to you all soon.

Love,

Robyn

<NOBR>First </NOBR> <NOBR>Previous </NOBR> <NOBR>2-5 of 5 </NOBR> <NOBR>Next </NOBR> <NOBR>Last </NOBR> <NOBR>Delete Replies </NOBR>

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

HI ROBYN,
I am right there with you on a lot of these symptoms! I have the sleep disturbances, the memory problems, the depression and the irritability (which can be pretty extreme during high pain levels). It never ceases to amaze me that all of these problems are related to/caused by the RSD and in my case one stupid accidental injury. I think that these problems amongst others are what make it so hard to except that this is the way things are going to be and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it, and that in turn completes the cycle by making me more depressed, aggitated and in more pain. At least I know that I am not alone with all of this and I really appreciate your postings on things like this, because that's what makes me realize that it's not just me. So, once again, Thank You for the wonderful job you do in making sure that we all get this information and get a handle on what is happening to us and our lives.
Eileen

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Wow Robyn
I've been having the heart pounding ,shortness in breath,sweating ,and chest tightness,.
this seems to happen when I sit down to relax(read the paper or a magazine,or watch some tv ).Guess I will talk to my doc about it .Gotta go in for the annual anyway so guess that will be a good time .
Thanks for posting about this
hugs
glenda

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Eileen and Glenda,
It is crazy what the RSD does to us isn't it. You just never know. I feel just like you do Eileen that it does make it easier to know what is happen to our bodies. It takes the fear factor away some and really helps me to handle it better too. I'm glad the info has helped it helps me too. Glenda, I would definitely mention it to your doctor. I didn't even know I was having the panic attacks until my doctor asked me how long I was having panic attacks?! Boy was I taken off guard! She then explained the symptoms I had been having for awhile now are actually panic attcks and the RSD has caused this to happen. I really had no clue before that. The medicine she put me on has really helped to stop them from happening for the most part. Check in and let us know how it goes with the doc. I hope all goes well.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the info Robyn, I will have to talk to the Dr. also, I have so many of those things going on with me alot.
I would also like to thank you and everyone else that posts info, I have learned so much about RSD since I became a member, and some of the things have really helped.
Thanks for doing a great job with all the info.
Love, Trina
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down