RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSD and Memory Problems

Go down

RSD and Memory Problems Empty continued....

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Recommend Delete Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

YES I DO THAT TO ROBYN, AND IT IS REALLY IMBARESSING.
DO YOU EVER WORK LIKE FOR EVER ON A LIST TO TAKE TO THE STORE OR THE DR. AND THEN FORGET ALL ABOUT IT.AND THEN ONLY REMEMBER WHEN YOU FIND IT IN YOUR POCKETAT HOME OF COURSE. THAT IS SOMETHING I SEM TODO ALOT IT REALLY SUCKS BUT COMICAL AT THE SAME TIME AT LEAST I CAN LAUGH AT MY SELF ABOUT IT.. HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER TODAY DIANA

Recommend Delete Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

I am with y'all that RSD causes big-time memory problems. I used to think it was just short-term memory problems until I started having problems remembering other people's phone numbers, how to spell, and then, worst of all, my own cell and home phone numbers and my only daughter's date of birth, weight at birth and length at birth - DEFINITELY not short-term things, since she's 16, I think. I used to be called Rain Main- as I could remember the phone number of ANYONE I had ever dialed, and was the office dictionary for any spelling or grammar question when I was able to work. It's just one more humilieting effect of RSD. Hope you are all having a low pain day.

Recommend Delete Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Hi byrd
I have the same problem, I asked my husband the same thing a lot of times in the day. First because it was just a few weeks that I was diagnosed with rsd, i found a good website that explains the conditions, symptoms etc and he started making searching for information, i never realized i was doing such a thing, then he sat with me and explain me all he learns about rsd, and why i was asking things a lot of times the same things, I forgot where I put things, even when I put away a few minutes ago, I don't remember doing things, that I never just to do, but making notes, and with the help of my husband, i have an agenda that i write everythings. Is the only way I can handle it. But there a lot of options we can do like the ones you mentioned.

take care and God bless you

mic

Recommend Delete Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

I do not see it as a bad thing anymore. I look at it and think maybe I will forget the pain someday. I grab life and live in the moment. I always remember God thinks we are strong enough to handle this or we would not have it. I know it's hard to remember that when the pain is bad but it is true. God knows what he's doing we just have to go with the flow because if you fight it you just get to the same spot God wants us at with a little longer and harder route. Ranc says to me all the time your so stubborn you have to do everything the hard way. Guilty, it's true.
I have been playing easy computer games for eye/ hand skill and I think it is helping with some of my memory because Rancie did not have to spell Catoosa for me today, I remembered how to spell it of course it traded with Joplin because I could not keep from transposing the letters. He woke up late and had me run yahoo maps to check his miles. He woke me up and you know what it is like trying to move first thing. Maybe when we lose our memory our child like imagination will come back and we can do anything again Smile
A long time ago in another life when they first said I had RSD I was talking to group and someone gave me advice they said except RSD and stop fighting it. Only a short time ago I knew what they ment. I am not on drugs to help with the pain I can not even get to the only pain man doc that takes medicaid but I gave myself a break and am taking it minute to minute and everyone here is my support group to help me get by. See when I stress, I forget more. My house use to be spotless, I would bleach the walls and floors weekly and nothing could be out of place, I had to be super mom, wife, woman and lover but that made me not take care of me. Now if things are messy so be it, I come first. I thought being alone would kill me for the summer but I slept, ate and did what I wanted. The only plans was to make it to the doctor. When Gary comes home in a week I will have to push again and my memory will get bad.
I will have to write notes on my hand(can't lose it), stickies on the computer, maps of where we have to go in town on the printer. I write every number down in my book and put it on my cell and I keep Ranc on speed dial just in case I get lost or forget what I am doing. I do not drive and talk on the phone because until I can chew gum and walk at the same time I feel the phone is to much destraction while driving.
Something I use to help me with memory is I read. I have read 2 books on building a house+ Steven King and Dan Brown. I did not understand the electrial part but I tried and do know a little more. I draw up plans for the home I want to build. I know it's a dream I will not be able to reach but dreams are free, and someday I will reach it if I try hard enough. I may forget things a lot and some I wish I did not and some of the things I remember I wish I could forget but I think I have been learning more in the last few months than I have the last 40 years. It did not kill me, so it makes me stronger.

I met my first RSD'er face to face. My heart went out to her. She wanted to visit with me but her meds kept knocking her out right in the middle of talking and eatting lunch. I watched her mom and kids and they kept waking her up. I thought how much of their life has she been robbed? I made up my mind right then I am in charge of me.

I am smart, loving, strong person that just happens to have something that sucks and robbs me of memory, mobility and if I dwell on it I will get nothing done. I sit on the pitty pot, I ask for help for ideas from group when I'm stuck and can't think.

Tell you what. I have an idea that might help with the things you do not want to forget and it could be fun doing. I made a scrapbook of my kids one for each kid, Sissy's is done I gave it to her for graduation. Breezy's and Gary's are still in the works. I typed out a little story for each picture with a copy of their foot prints on the first page from the hospital. It made me remember. I also slip notes between the pages so in years to come they will find them.
You could make one for your daughter and when she is old enough she can have it but I know going through pictures making copies for her will put things fresh in your mind and you will have it again. I can not remember things when I am put on the spot but if there is no pressure I can.
All my kids were born on a Sat during a thunderstorm 12/6/86 @12:44am 6lb 7oz, 2/27/88@ 10:25am 8lb 13 1/2 oz and 12/28/91@ 2:39am 7lb 6oz. If not for the books I would not remember it and I get the last 2's birthdays mixed. Just the day, not the month. It would help you take your mind off the pain and you will feel like you have some worth again. No one can tell the story of your birth and what you were like as you grew like a mother, Dad's have their side but it is not the same. Ranc has been in Gary's life since he was 5 and he will add things to his book I can not like taking him to boy scouts or working on a car together and that will mean more to Gary that the love it took to make his book came from us.
I buy things at the dollar store to put decoration on and in the books, or clearance racks. I have a big tub of what Ranc calls crap to hold it all. If I find a pretty stone, leaf, flower or feather outside I use it in the book.
I hope it helps with the memory.
((((Take care)))) Shellie

Recommend Delete Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Hello just wanted to make a quick drop in and let you know what I have been trying for the last week with my husband and his memory problem. I bought him a handheld game called the Nintendo D.S. and a game that is called Brain Age. The game makes you use all portions of your brain. Like I said we have only been trying this for a week but I do think that it is helping him with some of his memory.

On the game/program you can check your brain age and when he first started it he was scored at a 68 year old brain and now is at a 50. (he is 29 years old) And that is only from a week of using it. The game/progam cost $29 if I recall correctly, but the handheld machine was around $200. So if you know of anyone that has a Nintendo D.S. you could just buy the game and maybe borrow the handheld from someone that you may know and see if it will help you.

Recommend Delete Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Diana,
I have gotten halfway through the store and then remembered oh yeah the list! Well what can we do right?! Laughing it off is a good choice.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Hi memphiscatwoman,
I know what you are saying about the spelling and phone numbers. I have always been an excellent speller and now I just blank sometimes it is frustrating. I called up for pizza one night and couldn't remember my phone number to give to them when they asked I had to ask them to hold on a second and ask my mother-in-law. I wanted to scream it had me so mad. I felt so embarassed! Oh well just another day in the life of an rsder.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Mic,
Your hubby sounds great! Hold onto him for sure. That is so wonderful that he reads things about the disease and then explains it to you. You can tell he really loves you. His support must mean alot to you!
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

RSD and Memory Problems Empty RSD and Memory Problems

Post  byrd45 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

From: <NOBR>byrd45</NOBR> (Original Message) Sent: 1/30/2004 7:48 AM
Hi everybody,
I hope everyone is doing well today. I wanted to take a few minutes to address memory problems associated with RSD. I have done some research on the internet and have read that RSD affects the limbic section of your brain. This is the section of your brain that controls moods and memory. If this information is accurate (which if not just remember we are not physicians here just people with RSD looking for answers where we can find them) it explains why people with RSD experience memory problems, mood swings, and depression. I personally have short term memory problems, and would like to share some helpful hints with you. A big problem is remembering whether or not I took my medication, so after being frustrated with this problem, my mother-in-law gave me a great suggestion. I use a pill container which has sections for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime. Then if I'm not sure I can look and be able to figure out if I took my medication. This is alot easier than looking at a months supply and trying to figure it out. I put my doses in the sections in the morning for that day. Notes are also a great reminder, when you are having a clearer head attach a reminder note for yourself where you know you will see it. Post it notes work great and come in bright colors which catch your attention when you see them. You can always ask a friend, family member, or care giver to write down reminders for you if you need them. Making out lists the day before to help with phone calls, errands, or questions for your doctor are helpful also. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions about memory issues please post them here, and we will be as helpful as possible.
Best Wishes,
Robyn

First Previous 4-18 of 18 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Jen,
It is a terrible thing and I hate it myself. I have found that it is off and on during the day and my best time is usually the morning,so I make my to do list for that day in the morning and then later when my memory is worst I look at the list to help me remember. I usually leave the list somewhere I am bound to see it like on my dining room table. When I pass by it then I remember to check it out. I have used post it notes too and write all my appointments on the calendar and try my best to check it everyday. There is alot of anxiety along with the RSD so I am sure that could figure in too. Talk to you soon!
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

My memory is really going fast. I'm curious if any doctor have tried
Alzheimers type drugs on RSD patiens or would it help any?

Just a thought.

Hope everyone is having a low pain day,

Trudy

>From: "byrd45" <EARLIBYRD@msn.com>
>Reply-To: "RSD Outreach" <RSDOutreach@groups.msn.com>
>To: "RSD Outreach" <RSDOutreach@groups.msn.com>
>Subject: Re: Memory Problems
>Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:02:45 -0800
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> New Message on RSD Outreach
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Memory Problems
>
>
>
>
> Reply
>
>
>
>
>
> Reply to Sender
> Recommend
>
> Message 4 in Discussion
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From:
> byrd45
>
>
>
>
> Hi Jen, It is a terrible thing and I hate it myself. I have
>found that it is off and on during the day and my best time is usually the
>morning,so I make my to do list for that day in the morning and then later
>when my memory is worst I look at the list to help me remember. I usually
>leave the list somewhere I am bound to see it like on my dining room table.
>When I pass by it then I remember to check it out. I have used post it
>notes too and write all my appointments on the calendar and try my best to
>check it everyday. There is alot of anxiety along with the RSD so I am sure
>that could figure in too. Talk to you soon!
> Love,
> Robyn
>
>
>
>
>
>
> View other groups in this category.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Also on MSN:
>Start Chatting | Listen to Music | House & Home | Try Online Dating | Daily
>Horoscopes
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it
>arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
>
>
> Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go
>to Passport Member Services.
>
> For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us
>page.
>
>
> If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this
>MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the
>"Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply
>click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing
>list.
>
>
> Remove my e-mail address from RSD Outreach.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Trudy,
That is an interesting thought! I wonder........not that I have heard of so far. Definitely something to think about though.
Love,
Robyn

0 recommendations Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Jenn,
Interesting! Did she mention if it was helping? Curious... Is that one of the meds they use for Alziemers? My memory is better in the morning. That is when I make my do not forget lists for myself for that day. As long as I leave it in an area that I am sure to see it , this helps me out alot. I also leave my meds on the table so when I eat my breakfast I am sure to see them which reminds me to take them.
Love,
Robyn

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

memory,what memory yes me to i live by a calender and thats if i look at it several times a day. i also use post notes all over the place and it is so easy to get distracted sometimes i dont even know what i have done or the purpose for going some where might have been, does anyone feel like they cant track time becuase of memory? wibb

Recommend Delete Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Wibbet,
I have that happen alot where I lose track of time and just don't remember what time of day it is. It is such a strange feeling. I hate when I specifically go into a room to do something and then when I get there I can't remember what it was I wanted to do! That is so aggravating. Also losing my thought process while I am speaking to someone. Does that happen to you too? I forget the point I am trying to make and it kind of gets lost some how.
Love,
Robyn
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down