RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWD:Pain Question and Answer on The Role of Social Workers

Go down

FWD:Pain Question and Answer on The Role of Social Workers Empty FWD:Pain Question and Answer on The Role of Social Workers

Post  byrd45 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 am

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

Pain Question & Answer

The Role of the Social Worker
by Yvette Colón, MSW

Question: Someone suggested that I talk to a social worker about my pain. It took a long time for me to find a pain doctor and get my pain under control and now I'm doing okay. What would I talk to a social worker about?

Answer: Pain experts believe that pain is not just a physical experience, but also is a social and psychological experience that includes, for example, a person's personal history, their emotions, their coping abilities and the meaning of pain to them and the people around them. Pain can change persons' relationships with their families, friends and co-workers, the way they feel about themselves, their ability to work and be productive, and their coping skills, mood, sleep and overall enjoyment of life.

Professional social workers assist with all aspects of a person's experiences with pain. They can help you and your family:

understand how pain affects your physical and emotional well-being
make decisions about treatment options
explore cultural, spiritual, family and economic factors that affect your pain experience
provide individual, family and group counseling
teach skills such as relaxation, guided imagery, and hypnotherapy
learn new or strengthen existing coping and problem-solving skills
find information about workplace and employment concerns
share information about practical and financial resources
advocate for you and help you advocate for yourself
navigate often-complicated medical systems
Social workers, along with your healthcare team, can help you maintain a meaningful quality of life. Remember, you don't have to go through your pain experience alone.

March, 2007
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down