RSD Outreach awareness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RSD Outreach awareness
RSD Outreach awareness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWD:Pain Question & Answer/Pain and Anti-Depressant Medication

Go down

FWD:Pain Question & Answer/Pain and Anti-Depressant Medication Empty FWD:Pain Question & Answer/Pain and Anti-Depressant Medication

Post  byrd45 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 am

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

Pain Question & Answer

Pain and Anti-Depressant Medication
by Yvette Colón, MSW

Question: I've had pain for a long time and have been doing well with my pain management plan. Now my doctor wants me to take an antidepressant. I thought I was coping okay with my pain. Why would the doctor want me to take an antidepressant?

Answer: It's good to hear that your pain is being managed well and it's useful for you and your doctor to review and adjust that plan. Sometimes medications developed and used to control other conditions are effective pain relievers. In addition to relieving depression, tricyclic and other antidepressants are used to relieve pain, even when depression is not a factor. These medications also may improve sleep, which may in turn help reduce pain. In some cases, antidepressants work by treating accompanying depression that makes chronic pain more difficult to handle.

There can be a relationship between pain and depression; decreasing depression when it is present with pain is an excellent way to decrease the pain itself and improve the person's ability to cope. When someone suffers from pain, it is important to discuss any feelings of depression with healthcare providers so that all can help you maintain the best quality of life possible. Although sometimes people are hesitant to ask their doctors, this would be a good time to discuss your questions with him or her and get more information.

March, 2007
byrd45
byrd45
Admin

https://rsdoutreach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down